POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov vs comercial products : Re: Pov vs comercial products Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov vs comercial products
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Nov 1999 13:45:50
Message: <38359AE2.DD9733BA@inapg.inra.fr>
From what I learnt reading material here and there (no direct experience),
it seems that the main difference is that commercial packages are usually
not ray-tracers. They use faster rendering algorithms and use ray-tracing
only when it's necessary. Therefore they seem to have much shorter rendering
times. Other differences I can think of :
They rely on meshes and not on 3D primitives, which permits non-linear
transformations (POV of course also supports meshes so it's possible to do
so, see the Warp/Colefax mesh macros).
They seem to rely on lots of optimizations and "tricks" of all sorts, and
may have if not better-looking, or at least faster ways to do things that
are long to tune and render in POV (like volumetrics or soft shadows).
They have built-in animation capabilities, while animation in POV is
basically scripting the changes between frames and then reparsing each
frame.

G.